NOTE: Before consulting the websites and other Internet resources listed here, please look first at the websites of WFSAD's Voting Members. Many of these sites provide extensive information on schizophrenia and mental illness from a family perspective, valuable links to local websites as well as email and/or telephone helplines.
Also featured in this section will be films that are listed as having a website.
Mental Health Related Sites
This is the site of the Schizophrenia Society of Ontario. We have listed it because at this address (as of September 09) you can watch DVDs of lessons about mental illness. We hope you enjoy this link.
- Website advertising film "Oil on Water" made in South Africa by director Peter Matthews (2007). The DVD is available in NTSC (The North American format) and PAL (The rest of the world).
- No Such Thing as Crazy
- This is the Web site of the film "There Is No Such Thing as Crazy," Copies of the films and information on getting involved in the project are available from Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org .
World Health Organization
WHO Report on Mental Health and Development: Targeting People with Mental Health Conditions as a Vulnerable Group (2011)
Breakdown: Canada's Mental Health Crisis
A week-long series on mental illness from many points of view appeared in Canada's National newspaper, The Globe and Mail, in late June 2008. You may read the articles online at this site.
- World Federation for Mental Health
- WFMH is an international, multidisciplinary, grassroots advocacy and education organization concerned with all aspects of mental health.
- American Psychiatric Association
- Information for the general public.
- The Conte Center at Washington University School of Medicine
- studies the idea that schizophrenia is caused by genetic and environmental factors that change the brain. The major goal of the Conte Center is to understand more about what causes schizophrenia so more can be known about how to treat it and possibly prevent it in the future. The Conte Center is funded by the National Institutes of Mental Health.
- European Federation of Associations of Families of Mentally Ill People with links to national member organizations.
- Internet Mental Health
- Encyclopedia of mental health information created by a Canadian psychiatrist.
- US commercial site - see the Psychiatry & Mental Health section.
- Mental Health Infosource
- Commercial US medical education site.
- National Institute for Mental Health
- Downloadable publications on mental disorders for the public.
- Action for Mental Illness
- Advocacy information from India.
- Meriden Family Programme
- Meriden West Midlands Family Programme Website. This site has been developed for use by service users, carers, family members and staff working in mental health services.
- Provides information for psychiatric professionals including patient case studies, conference reports, drug database etc. Registration on the site is free.
- An extensive new website about mental illness.
- A resource and community for all areas of mental health and illness.
- New online group providing support, advocacy, and awareness for people with schizophrenia.
- The Experience of Schizophrenia
- Website created by Ian Chovil, a person with schizophrenia.
- Schizophrenia-Medicine's Mystery Society's Shams
- A site where you may buy this book by writer Marvin Ross, a Canadian who is a family member and a medical professional. A good book, worth reading.
- A great resource and blog site on everything about schizophrenia.
- Schizophrenics Anonymous
- Self-help group support for people recovering from schizophrenia.
- British Columbia Schizophrenia Society
- Information available in Chinese, Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali and Tagalog.
- Consumer newsgroup for people with schizophrenia.
- Schizophrenia Ireland
- User-friendly database of up-to-date information for consumers, families and professionals.
- Childhood Schizophrenia
- International online mutual support group for families of children with schizophrenia.
- Noesis: Threads and Yarn
- Interactive information about schizophrenia for families and patients.
- Depression Alliance
- UK charity for people affected by depression.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- Mission is to improve the lives of people with mood disorders (based in Chicago, Illinois, USA).
- Voices of Depression
- Personal stories from people suffering from depression.
- Walkers in Darkness
- Self-help and support mailing lists, discussion forums, medication info and a resource database (US site).
- Wing of Madness
- Large site with discussion forums, chat room, web directory, bookstore, etc. (US site).
- South African Depression and Anxiety Group
- Support and resouces for depression, panic disorder, social phobia, PTSD.
- Organization For Bipolar Affective Disorders
- Based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Pendulum Resources
- Self-help and support site.
- The Winds of Change
- An online support group for people with bipolar disorder.
- Students Lizzie and Isabelle of Trinity School, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. interview WFSAD Secretary Diane Froggatt for a class podcast.
- Befrienders International
- Information on suicide and crisis prevention in over 40 countries and 10 languages.
- BPD Central
- Information and resources on borderline personality disorder.
- Open the Doors
- World Psychiatric Association global programme to reduce stigma and discrimination in 7 languages.
- International Centre for Clubhouse Development
- Directory of Clubhouses worldwide.
- Mental Health and Development
- An online journal dealing with worldwide mental health issues.
- Pulier's Behavioral Healthcare And Telehealth
- List of worldwide events and resources.
- Suicide: Read This First
- An appeal to people considering suicide, from someone who's been there.
- Best Practices in Family Intervention
- Includes psychoeducation programs, references and resources for many serious mental illnesses.
- Family Psychoeducation Toolkit
- Provides information and tools for including family in treatment.